20 Stunning facts about cats
Many people believe there are two types of people in the world, dog lovers and cat lovers. I am a lover of both, but enjoy the company of a cat a little bit more.
Cats are amazing creatures. They are small and cute, but, on the inside, they are wild beasts made to hunt, kill, and eat. Cats are also compassionate, kind, and very caring. The majority of animals found at shelters are cats and many of these felines deserve a good home. If you don’t believe me, take a look at the awesome facts below.
- People who own a cat are more likely to have a degree
- Cats rub against their owners to mark them as their territory. This means they like you
- Cats have a lower social IQ than dogs but are able to solve more difficult cognitive tasks (only when they want to)
- A cats purr not only means he or she is content, it is also used for self healing. Their purr can heal their human as well.
- Cats spend 70% of their lives sleeping.
- Cats have more than 20 muscles they use to move their ears.
- Towser the cat caught more than 30,000 mice in her lifetime. Their is a monument in Scotland dedicated to her for these efforts.
- The surface of a cats nose is as unique as a persons fingerprints.
- Most cats have five toes on their front paws and four on the back. If they have more, they are polydactyl. Polydactyl cats are also called hemingway cats because he loved them so much.
- Cats use their whiskers to find out if they can fit through or into a small space. It does not always work.
- Any domestic cat can run faster than Usain Bolt. That does not mean they will.
- Cats are colorblind but have excellent night vision.
- Cats can recognize their owners voice, but choose to ignore it.
- Cats cannot climb down trees facing down because of how their claws are designer. They can climb down backwards but most don’t know how. This is why they get stuck.
- Ancient Egyptians called cats ‘Mau’ and when a pet cat died, everyone in the house shaved off their eyebrows and mourned the loss.
- In many European countries and North America, black cats are thought to be bad luck. However, in Great Britain, Australia and most Asian countries a black cat is considered good luck.
- A cat named Stubbs has been the honorary Mayor of Talkeetna, Alaska for the past 15 years.
- About one third of all cat owners believe their pets can read their minds.
- Cats can make over 100 different types of vocal sounds. Dogs can only make 10.
- Most cats are lactose intolerant and should not eat raw fish.
Here is a raw food diet they can enjoy.