How to spot a liar
We all tell lies, it’s a part of our human nature. Sometimes they’re harmless, even well intentioned, and told to avoid hurting someone that we care about. Other times they’re not so minor. Instead of being trivial, they end up truly harming others and lead to nothing but trouble. We even lie to ourselves, we just can’t help it!
As often as we hear them, one would assume that we’re quite adept at detecting a lie when we come across one. While that may be the case for some people, for the majority of us it’s not. Thankfully there are signs to look for that can help us detect when someone is telling a lie. That way we can minimize any possible negative effects of the ones we happen to come across. Here are the top signs you need to know on how to spot a liar:
- They hide or cover their mouth.
- They stare and maintain eye contact for an uncomfortable amount of time.
- They blink rapidly.
- They point.
- They give you too many details.
- They fidget.
- They have trouble swallowing, clear their throat, and purse their lips.
- They display verbal and non-verbal disconnects.
- Their voice changes. Depending on the liar, they may do a number of things with their tone of voice.
- They start sweating more or breathing harder.