Located at the base of the spine, the pelvic floor, and the first three vertebrae, the root chakra is responsible for your sense of safety and security on this earthly journey. The word Muladhara breaks down into two Sanskrit words: Mula meaning “root” and Adhara, which means “support” or “base.”
Clearing, balancing, and opening your first chakra can help you get your feet back under you when you’re feeling like you’re “losing your grip.” It can help you relax, feel calmer and more secure, and let go of nagging fears. It can help you gain the feeling that you truly belong in the universe, and that everything will turn out basically alright for you.
That’s a good feeling! When you feel deeply secure, you can turn your attention to more interesting things–relationships, art, creating, career, learning, spiritual development, rock-climbing, ferret-raising–the possibilities are endless!
You don’t have to be a trained energy healer to heal your root chakra. Read on to learn 5 down-to-earth, satisfying ways that you can give your root chakra a “tune-up.” But first:
What is the Root Chakra?
The muladhara, or root chakra is located at the base of the spine. Its keyword is “survival.” It relates to the physical self, self-preservation, survival instincts, our connection to our bodies and the earth, and our sense of safety, security, and belonging in the world. Its related color is red, and its related element is earth.
Is Your First Chakra Healthy?
Someone with a healthy root chakra will usually have a basic sense of security and safety in the world. They will be well- grounded, with “common sense.” The practical side of their life will usually function fairly smoothly. They will have a sense of having (or being able to get) enough material resources to meet their needs. They will likely be fairly at ease with their own body, as well as their life. Often, though not always, they will have a relatively healthy physical body, with healthy bones, feet, legs, colon and adrenal glands. Their bowels will function well, and their weight will be in a healthy range.
5 Ways to Clear, Open, and Balance Your Root Chakra
If you feel you would benefit from clearing your first chakra, there are many practical, every-day things that you can do. Here are five ideas:
- walk, especially walk barefoot in nature
- mindfully eat healthy food, especially root vegetables or healthy “comfort food”
- create healthy order or structure in your life or home, such as creating a filing system or putting up shelves in the garage or basement
- repeat affirmations such as: “I am safe.” ” The universe is a good place.” “Everything is going to work out just fine.” “The universe provides for me abundantly.” “All is well and I can let down my guard and rest.”
- surround yourself with pleasing, earthy smells, such as essential oils of cedar, clove, or patchouli.