9 Lessons To Learn From Confucious Which Will Change Your Priorities In Life
Confucius is one of the most eminent and influential people in Chinese history. As a matter of fact, his impact is so tremendous that his teachings are still being taught these days.
He is the founder of the famous principle called ‘The Golden Rule’: “Do not do to others what you do not want to be done to yourself”.
Here are some of his most powerful lessons we should all follow:
1. “It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop”
It doesn’t matter how slowly you progress and move down the path, you will eventually get to the wanted destination. It does take time to succeed, but it is worth the effort and the consistency.
2. “Never contract friendship with a man that is not better than thyself”
It is very important to hold the right friends beside you and treat them well, as you are as good as the people you are surrounded with.
As a matter of fact, it has been scientifically proven that keeping a healthy social circle is of utmost importance for happiness. According to a 75-year Harvard study, relationships are an essential factor in person`s happiness.
3. “It is easy to hate and it is difficult to love. This is how the whole scheme of things works. All good things are difficult to achieve, and bad things are very easy to get”
Being negative is quite easy, as our brains are taught to do so in order to prevent us against any threats. But, this doesn’t mean that changing our perspective is impossible. All it takes is focusing on the good, although it takes effort. Eventually you will manage to rewire your brain to keep a better and more positive outlook.
4. “To be wronged is nothing unless you continue to remember it”
Instead of focusing on negative situations you are faced with, focus on the things that will help you in the future. This means setting a goal and determining the steps required to achieve it. While you will face certain set backs along the way, continue moving forward.
5. “ When anger rises, think of the consequences”
Make sure you remember this the next time you are angry! Being angry leads to negativity only and it does nothing to help you. It is better to take a step back and assess the situation in order to react accordingly.
6. “When it is obvious that the goals cannot be reached, don’t adjust the goals, adjust the action steps”
When something doesn’t turn out as you expected, change the approach. This means that you need to take step back and ask yourself whether you are or not improving. For instance, if you are trying to learn a foreign language, test yourself every few days.
7. “If I am walking with two other men, each of them will serve as my teacher. I will pick out the good points of the one and imitate them, and the bad points of the other and correct them in myself”
Simply put, you can learn from anyone! Everyone has their own experiences and there is always something to learn from others. As an added bonus, this will make you more likable, too.
8. “Wherever you go, go with all your heart”
If you truly want to succeed, you need to give it all and go with all your heart.
9. “The expectations of life depend upon diligence; the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools”
You need to be fully prepared for what you are facing and if you are truly aiming at achieving your goals, you need to constantly work on your skills.